Haight's Hangout

From running to music... just a place for random thoughts and observations. No real thinking involved. A short escape from the mundane.

Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year...New Beginnings

Yep...it's been a while. Time flies when you're having fun (and/or busy). As you know, if you follow Lora's blog, we've been pretty busy.

We moved into our new place in Evanston. We couldn't be located in a better area. It's exactly where we wanted to be. It's big city living without the big city. Anything you could ever want is within a couple blocks of our place. Whole Foods, Barnes & Noble, Turin's bicycle shop, our bank, movie complex, all types of restaurants/bars & less than half a mile from the lakefront. And our 9th floor southern view gives us a peek at the Chicago Skyline.

Since my last post over two months ago (holy crap), it's not only been busy with our move, but work was nuts. All of November thru early December was extremely busy with a lot of time spent on showsites and to wrap it up was some training at our corporate office in Dallas for about 4 days. That put me back at my office for about a week....then it was time for a vacation.

So I packed my bags and headed to Sarasota, FL for the holidays to spend time with my folks and sister, who also lives down there. It was nice to get away and not really concentrate on, well, anything. Unfortunately, I couldn't hide Lora in my suitcase and bring her with. She got stuck with work obligations.

Speaking of Sarasota, this brings me to another 'new beginning'. Lora and I have officially signed up for the
Sarasota Half Marathon. Now you're asking yourself, "but you haven't been training, have you?" Well, not so much. But with that being said, today is the 'new beginning'.

Along with the support of Lora and whomever wishes to shake their pom pons, I'm setting out to get back in shape. For the most part, my shins are healthy again. I've just decided I have to push through it and 'get tough'. Although weight loss is a priority, I don't have 'over the top' goals. I just need to be consistent and determined. Since we have 'LA Fitness' in our building, I will be utilizing it as much as possible.

This isn't about getting into 'running shape'. This is about getting healthy. I'm using
FitDay to monitor my progress with my weight loss and physical activity.

So I picked the Sarasota Half as a mini-goal....finish under 3 hours. I know, now you're saying, "3 hours? Heck, I can walk that fast and finish." Of course most of you can, I never professed to be a 'runner'. You can see that by my race results listed on the side of my blog. I look at this race as a goal to keep me motivated and focused. Keep my on the healthy path for life. And an added incentive is that Lora and I will be able to vacation together (sans kids), which doesn't come around too often. Florida in March? Ya, a no brainer.

Day at a time. Week at a time. Month at a time. Before you know it it will be summer and I'll be able to show off my girlish figure.

GO BEARS!!!

8 Comments:

At January 01, 2007 6:31 PM, Blogger Neese said...

Sarasota in March sounds perfect, great goal your mind is in the right place about health you both will finish and finish proud! YEAAH i'm cheering you on!!

 
At January 01, 2007 8:46 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

I love fitday. It really helps me stay accountable.

 
At January 01, 2007 9:57 PM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

Welcome back, Haight!!! The Sarasota half is a great goal and I know you'll be able to meet your time goal.

I'm all about you with the "get healthy" kick.

Will you make it down to the totem pole at all this spring? we should all meet up for a lovely morning frolick!

 
At January 02, 2007 3:20 AM, Blogger My Life said...

Yay, you're back!

I'm with you on the "day at a time" motto... I think it might just be my motto for 2007!

Here's to your training, comeback and an awesome year!

 
At January 02, 2007 7:15 AM, Blogger LeahC said...

welcome back! I am jealous of your new place in evanston, it sounds awesome! I will see you in Sarasota...but don't know yet if I'm doing the full or the half. Either way we'll have to get together!

 
At January 02, 2007 5:05 PM, Blogger Reen said...

Happy New Year! Great goals and Great post! You really should be a writer!

 
At January 03, 2007 1:23 PM, Blogger E-Speed said...

Happy New Year! Sarasota sounds like a fun goal! Glad you guys are enjoying the new place!

 
At January 12, 2007 12:16 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

hey, i'm not saying heck i could walk it in three hours! I think that's a great goal! Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home