Haight's Hangout

From running to music... just a place for random thoughts and observations. No real thinking involved. A short escape from the mundane.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

What's up Doc?

Yesterday I went to Dr. Nicola's office for my feet/shins/legs. Although Dr. Nicola wasn't the one that examined me, I was pretty comfortable with the staff and UIC Sports Medicine Clinic.

After a few minors tests, he immediately ruled out any kind of stress fracture (didn't even cross my mind actually...phew). We decided to start off conservatively.
We went over some stretches that Mr. Procrastinator will have to do...
- lay on back hamstring stretch
- anterior foot stretch (directly effects the top of foot and shin) - calf raises on a step
15-20 reps @ 5x/week for each stretch.
- hold off on running for 3 weeks
- cross train with bike
- long walks on 4th week
- return to clinic in 4 weeks

I asked about using the elliptical machine, but he said they do not endorse it because it is not fully tested as a suitable training aparati as a substitute for running. If you notice the elliptical doesn't imitate running per se. When running, you put one foot in front of the other. However on the elliptical, your feet run on a parallel plane which puts added pressure on your hips. As he was saying that, it definitely made sense. But he said if you don't have any type of hip problems, it should be ok as a limited exercise.

The last thing we talked about was everyday shoes and orthodics. Some shoe brands he recommended were Kenneth Cole, Clark's, Madden, Timberline, Sketchers and Doc Martens. I have a pair of Sketchers, but they're pretty torn up. Formal shoe shopping...blah.

For now we're not going with full blown custom made orthodics. He told me a few brands of sport inserts to choose from and we'll see how it goes...here are those beauties.

10 Comments:

At September 06, 2006 10:37 PM, Blogger SRR said...

Becareful wth the orthodics...that was my problem with the blisters.

 
At September 07, 2006 8:06 AM, Blogger Todd said...

Well sounds like they did not tell you anything new. That is why I do not go to doctors for injuries unless well I have them forever.

Sorry about having to bike. Running > biking. Walking > biking.

Interesting info on the ellipical machines

 
At September 07, 2006 10:05 PM, Blogger Reen said...

Glad you went - Mr Procrastinator!

I really need to start carrying my camera everywhere - t makess blogs so much more interesting!

 
At September 08, 2006 10:12 AM, Blogger Neese said...

interesting indeed about ellipticals i've often wondered about that since the one time i tried one it felt like my legs were being pushed upward into my ribs. very hip unfriendly i would think.

good luck with the list of stretches maybe you can set up an award system for yourself, say once you finish you get to have a treat :)

 
At September 10, 2006 1:47 AM, Blogger Toasty said...

keep at it, these things take time and persistence .... i hope it goes quickly for you

 
At September 11, 2006 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on the stretches - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.

 
At September 11, 2006 9:18 PM, Blogger Rose said...

I got pretty much the same info from my doc regarding training. Nice to know that it falls in with the expert's advice. I'm doing some stretches as well. The only problem I see is I just cannot go with any of those everyday shoe suggestions - where is Manolo? Ferragamo? BCBG? ;->

 
At September 12, 2006 2:18 PM, Blogger E-Speed said...

Everyday shoes? You mean everyone doesn't wear flips flops when not in running shoes?

 
At September 12, 2006 2:58 PM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Very interesting the elliptical machine. I have been running by 1985 and I learned a lesson: the doctor MUST be a running doctor or I don't trust him/her.

 
At September 29, 2006 7:33 AM, Blogger jeanne said...

i'm with stafano! I never heard anything bad about the elliptical...except it's boring. it's a good way to keep get your cardio in. I used it when I couldn't run bcs of ITB problems. Love the lime green!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home