Haight's Hangout

From running to music... just a place for random thoughts and observations. No real thinking involved. A short escape from the mundane.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Good Deed of the Week

We had 'Customer Service Week' last week at work. One of the employee things to do was volunteer to give blood. I've done this many times so was not a big deal to help out LifeSource. But this time it wasn't a regular blood donation. They asked if I would like to donate red blood cells. So like a trooper I said sure, what's another 15 minutes in the chair (more OJ and Oreos then...sweet).

The machine you see separates my blood via a centrifuge and replentishes my platelets with plasma (you medical folks can correct me if I misspoke). Was kinda wild to see the flow of blood turn different shades or red/orange/almost yellow when the transfusion process took place. You can kinda see the pretty colors in those bags. After about 15 minutes a 'beep' was repeating and supposedly there was a kink in the tube. They couldn't figure it out, so he thought the best thing to do was stop the transfusion. At any rate, they said they got a good amount. It was good timing too, because I developed a cold sweat right when we finished. It was gone in about 5 minutes.

The group of us that drove to the blood drive thought we should stop for a cocktail for a quick buzz, but needless to say we were good boys and went back to work.

We also had our company picnic this past week. Was a good time. Your basic raffles, games with some awesome southern style bbq.

I thought this was a cool pic with a few guys I work with. If we were a band, it would be our album cover. Rock on!!!

8 Comments:

At August 21, 2006 1:39 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Ahh, the company picnic. I have to endure one of those for hubby's job in a couple of weeks.

 
At August 21, 2006 5:13 PM, Blogger My Life said...

Good for you for donating! I've yet to do it... finally got myself in line a couple of months ago, only to find out they didn't want me. My bad blood had been to Thailand and now I'm tainted until 2007, *sigh. Anyway - go on ya for donating! All the little things make big differences!

 
At August 21, 2006 8:31 PM, Blogger Reen said...

Good job - you look great in that chair!

 
At August 21, 2006 8:45 PM, Blogger Todd said...

Lora awatys said your a bad boy at heart though. I am so confused now

 
At August 21, 2006 9:54 PM, Blogger Haight said...

Todd...you're always confused

 
At August 22, 2006 6:45 AM, Blogger Toasty said...

That's an Album cover for sure. Title could be Picnic and the Hangout ... maybe not ...... reminds me to give blood again .... it's a good thing you've done.

 
At August 22, 2006 2:26 PM, Blogger :) said...

Is that Tim Robbins in the red shirt???

 
At August 23, 2006 7:59 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

Man the cold sweat would have scared the heck out of me. I do not do needles well at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home