Haight's Hangout

From running to music... just a place for random thoughts and observations. No real thinking involved. A short escape from the mundane.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

A Little Hike

First off...Lora's next post will include our Saturday evening at Ravinia. It was a very nice evening (Lora, better get snappy on that post).

Today we hopped in the Jeep and went off for a hike in the
Lake County Forest Preserve. I'm as guilty as about the other 99.7% of the area residents that don't utilize our preserves and the nature trails they provide (people, we pay for them...taxes, remember?). And it's such a shame, they're peaceful, well kept and good for you!!!

The one thing I wish they could improve on are he mile markings. They exist, but since there are a few forks in the road, it's a little difficult to keep accurate milage (plus Lora forgot her Garmin). Anyway, we logged about 6 miles in 2 hours...we think. Like I said it was just a hike...enjoying the scenery. And our 3rd hiker, Bayley, thought it was more than enough. He was a bit of a drooler after one mile. Oh, in case you didn't know, he's our dog...a Portuguese Waterdog (that's hates to be in water...go figure).

Speaking of water, here's the Des Plaines River...

During our trek, we started counting runners, bikers and walkers. About half way thru we stopped counting the walkers, we didn't feel they were worthy (I know, yes, we were walking also). We got to about 40 bikers and 30ish runners. Since we didn't start this hike until about 8:50am, we figured more runners we're there before we arrived. Lora thought this was a lot because last time she was on the trail, there wasn't near that total...like 80% less. Maybe that was one of those Africa hot days.

Another added dimension to this trail is that horses are allowed on it.
Before we saw these guys with their horses, we kinda figured horses were allowed on the trail due to the 'massive' piles of evidence we came across on quite a few occasions...

OK...horses on the trail...I'm cool with that. But why are they exempt from cleaning up the horse shit? We have a dog and are expected to clean up after him. I'm sure there is a 'tool' that can be made for a guy to 'shovel' up that mound of road apples and at least toss it in the woods. If not, get off the damn horse and clean it up anyway!! Everyone has seen a cowboy movie. Ever see all the stuff a cowboy packs on his horse? I think these 'equestrians' could have packed a shovel.

OK...I'm off my soapbox. All in all it was a nice morning and once my leg gets all better I'm sure I'll want to check out those trails in the running capacity. And probably the trail bike before that even.

So we loaded Bayley into the Jeep...

...and headed home.

11 Comments:

At August 13, 2006 9:51 PM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

What an awesome way to spend the day! I haven't been hiking in ages. But it sounds like you had a good time...we need more pics of the pooch!!

 
At August 14, 2006 8:07 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

I agree, those riders should be accountable for the messes. I bet those runners wouldn't be too happy to step in the "apples."

 
At August 14, 2006 8:47 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

interestingly I have never wondered about why they don't have to clean up after their horses. I don't know why but that thought never occurred to me, odd!

Glad you had a good hike.

 
At August 15, 2006 7:20 AM, Blogger Toasty said...

Puts a whole new spin of how do you like em apples?

Reminds me we need to hike .... maybe soon ....

You could have played hiker bingo ... make a card with things to spot ... a hiker, a runner, a pile of horse doodle, and so forth ...

 
At August 15, 2006 8:29 AM, Blogger Haight said...

Hiker Bingo...good idea.

 
At August 15, 2006 4:11 PM, Blogger Jessica DeLine said...

ahh.. yeah. I run into horse shit all the time on trails. Well not literally but you know what I mean :)

 
At August 16, 2006 4:09 PM, Blogger Todd said...

I agree with you when it comes to the horses. nothing like running a marathon and at mile 22 have to avoid the pile if you are likely enough to see it.

its getting cooler now so that is always good for now. I know this summer I was bitching about the heat and in winter I will bitch about the cold

 
At August 16, 2006 8:31 PM, Blogger Neese said...

ohhh i think portuguese waterdog's are beautiful, please post more pics some time!

i agree about the soapbox topic, you mean those owners cannot clean up that mess!?, that's horse sh*t!

;)

 
At August 17, 2006 9:54 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

I am happy that by the pc we can share the images but not the smell (see your 3rd picture). I see that an important part of the Black Knight Army went to the Lake County Forest Preserve: the Princess, the Good Warrior and the Mascott!!!! I am very glad.

 
At August 18, 2006 10:57 AM, Blogger *jeanne* said...

You run with my friend Lora! That's a good hiking/walking time - 2 hours for 6 miles.
:-)

Thanks for visiting my blog.

AND good luck with Dr. Nicola.

 
At September 02, 2006 9:47 AM, Blogger jeanne said...

nice photos! um, most of them! nice hiking, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home