Haight's Hangout

From running to music... just a place for random thoughts and observations. No real thinking involved. A short escape from the mundane.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Blah!

Well...that sucked.

This morning was to be a 7 miler. Key word there is 'was'. Last Saturday's 6 miler went well, so what's another mile?

Just to back up a little...I was a bit of a slacker this week and only did a 2 miler on Thursday. Piece of cake, right? But to my delight I was visited by the shin demons. My left shin knotted up after about a mail and I had to stretch more. The rest of the way was run/walk.

So back to today. We all know it was Africa hot...even at 7am. But was prepared as could be. So off we went. And by the 1st mile my shin wound up as tight as a golf ball. I could barely tilt my foot up and down. At that point I had to relieve myself as a 'pace' leader. Handed my watch off to one of the runners so they could keep time.

I continued at my own pace. Stretch...walk....stretch...walk...run...repeat. I did this for 4 miles and called it a morning. Wasn't worth the aggrevation.

After the run, Lora and I had appointments with our masseuse. Lora has been a regular but I haven't seen her in quite a few months. Needless to say I was overdue. And she could tell. After all was said and done, the masseuse along with the wellness center's manager (who is also a chiropractor...and ironically a former downstairs neighbor when I lived in the city) feel I should take the route of orthodics. I know that is one way to go, but I also know that if I commit myself to daily stretching and strength training, I might be able to over come it that way.

One problem. And if you have seen some of my other entries in the past....I have an issue with procrastination. I know exactly what I need to do, but doing it is a whole other thing.

So...there it is...now what?

8 Comments:

At July 30, 2006 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got some help. You know orthotics might be the way to go - it would correct for structural abnormalities and with stretching you might be as good as new.

 
At July 30, 2006 10:01 PM, Blogger Rose said...

It was Africa hot at 5:30 a.m., too. You did the right thing in calling it a day when you did. We can only expect so much in this ungodly weather, no matter what we want. :-)

 
At July 31, 2006 8:03 PM, Blogger Todd said...

I had orthnoics when I was injurued but I do not use them. question how is yoour candense when you run? should be around 85 - 90 steps per min. that is with only 1 foot.

I am glad you got a massage. I thinking about getitng one myself right before my ultra in 2 weeks.

 
At August 03, 2006 9:48 AM, Blogger Lance Notstrong said...

Africa hot.....I like that, I'll have to remember it :-)

 
At August 04, 2006 4:12 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

I echo Lance's comment. "Africa Hot" is going to be my new favorite phrase.

 
At August 04, 2006 7:31 PM, Blogger Neese said...

haight your "mental note" comment on my blog cracked me UP!!, and so has "africa hot", i am adding your to my blog roll, so there :)

 
At August 05, 2006 1:36 PM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

I meant to ask who your masseuse is...and if ya recommend them!! :)

 
At August 05, 2006 8:58 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

no fun running with shin splints...do you have a race coming up? that always gets me off my a$$ and out the door to the docs...really consider orthotics. it's nothing to be ashamed about!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home