Haight's Hangout

From running to music... just a place for random thoughts and observations. No real thinking involved. A short escape from the mundane.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Movie Talk.....

Did anyone catch the AFI Top 100 Inspirational Film countdown last night? The list seemed pretty fair...no glaring exceptions or flukes.

Here was their top 10...

1. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
2. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
3. SCHINDLER'S LIST
4. ROCKY
5. MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
6. E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
7. THE GRAPES OF WRATH
8. BREAKING AWAY
9. MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET
10. SAVING PRIVATE RYAN


A pretty good list. I like that 'Breaking Away' made the list. Such a low budget flick that was so well made and poignant. I do have to admit I have not seen #5 or #7 though.

Here's a few from the top 100 inspirational flicks that I consider personal favorites:

13. Hoosiers - a tear jerker for guys (ya, I admit it)
23. Shawshank Redemption
28. Field of Dreams - another tear jerker for obvious reasons
31. Glory
37. Forrest Gump
52. Dead Poet's Society - 'Captain, my captain...carpe diem'
54. Rudy - tear jerker #3...ok. I'm not a wuss...really
59. Dances With Wolves
62. Braveheart
71. Cool Hand Luke - Newmans' such a stud
90. Hotel Rwanda - :(

I'm sure females will have a different take on the list...whattya think?

5 Comments:

At June 15, 2006 3:20 PM, Blogger Mark said...

love your additions. Can't watch "Field of Dreams" without tearing up and Forrest Gump is an all time classic.

Have you seen, "Pay it Forward"?

"A Beautiful Mind" is pretty good too. :)

 
At June 15, 2006 4:40 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

I like your list better than the top 10, except for Rocky. I heart Rocky movies. I would add "The Patriot." That's one of my favorites.

 
At June 15, 2006 4:56 PM, Blogger Garou said...

It's an intersting list. I'd have put "October Sky" on it, and probably done some changing of the ordering.

 
At June 16, 2006 9:08 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

Yeah for 'Breaking Away'!!!

Yes, my list would be quite different, but not in a girly way ;) I'm a SciFi Geek.

 
At June 17, 2006 11:12 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

I like your list and I'm a girl! Cool Hand Luke--all time favorite! I thought of it today for some reason....and Shawshank Redemption...also cool. Great list!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home