Haight's Hangout

From running to music... just a place for random thoughts and observations. No real thinking involved. A short escape from the mundane.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Weekend Recap: Shrubs, BoDeans, Wisconsin & Elvis


More Elvis to follow...

Another nice spring weekend...ok, it rained Saturday morning, but like I said, it is spring.

As Lora went off to run Saturday morning, I decided it was time to do some landscaping. So off to Home Depot I went. I bought (4) 5' Arborvitaes for the front of the house. Last year I dug up the existing bushes because they were a bit out of control (and damaged by some roofers). We're keeping it simple so when we put the house on the market (soon) it will be a basic clean look for perspective buyers. Once they were in the ground, I threw down 10 bags of Cypress mulch which made it look all purdy. Watered them and the rest of the foilage around the house. The morning rain was the first rain we had in quite a few days, so the extra water didn't hurt. Job complete.

Saturday night Lora and I strolled down the trail to
Ravinia to see the BoDeans. I've seen/heard these guys since the late 80's and I kind of exposed Lora to them recently. We had our trusty red wagon filled with our chairs, cooler, blanket, etc. It was a brisk night, Lora was bundled like a cocoon but comfy. It was a good time, good crowd and good way to finish off Saturday.

Sunday morning...off to Wisconsin. About an hour north of us, the
Bicycle Club of Lake County had their 25th Annual BCLC Ramble. If you see Lora's blog, you'll see a recap of our biking (big day for her and her new bike).

Once we got home, I had to scramble a bit to get ready for another night at Ravinia. This time I was meeting up with some friends to see Elvis Costello. I think he's one of the greatest songwriters there is and is truly passionate on stage about his music. I saw him about 15 years ago and Sunday night he and the Imposters were just as tight as ever. Along with the Imposters, he's touring with
Allen Toussaint & the Crescent City Horns to promote their collaboration after Katrina hit New Orleans. It was fantastic. I was in the 10th row to snap these pictures. They aren't the best but they were also illegally taken...so there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home