Haight's Hangout

From running to music... just a place for random thoughts and observations. No real thinking involved. A short escape from the mundane.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Saturday Substitution

Saturday morning is 'long run' morning with our running club - www.alpinerunners.com. Since I'm not over my shin splints yet, I decided to trade in my feet for some wheels. Loaded up the bike and headed to Lake Zurich.

At 7am the fastest pace group starts (7min/mile)...then 7:30 pace then 8:00 pace and so on....to the mighty 12min/mile pack - that's me and we're a hearty bunch. So I got all my gear on and headed out on the course. I know I'm on wheels, but it was nice passing the fast guys. That doesn't happen too much in my world.

The first couple miles were typical. Adjusting to the cold (it was about 38 - not including any windchill), getting the kinks out the kinks and establishing a rhythm. There were a couple hills to battle, but there was no pain in my shins at all.

I tried to average between 10-12mph. I know, it's not exactly Tour de France, but it was a nice pace for me. I don't want to risk any further stress on my legs. I made it back to the finishing area after 75 minutes and completing 13 miles. I was content with that. No pain what so ever and a decent cardio.

Oh, and the Cubs beat the Cardinals again....Woooo Hoooooo!!!

2 Comments:

At April 09, 2006 11:41 AM, Blogger LeahC said...

go cubs! get out your brooms for tonight!

 
At April 09, 2006 8:41 PM, Blogger Reen said...

We are a hearty bunch aren't we? And we have more fun than everyone else! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home