Haight's Hangout

From running to music... just a place for random thoughts and observations. No real thinking involved. A short escape from the mundane.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Crap...

Oh well, I gave it a shot. I thought taking a couple extra days off from running/biking would have helped a little.

But......no such luck. I got to the 1.5 mile mark and had to stop and stretch for those damn shins. I began to walk a little and slowly got back to a run. At the 2 mile marker...I had to stop. The pain was awful. Like someone implanted a golf ball between my bone and muscle. Huge knots. As the rest of the runners took a right turn...I took a left and 'walked' back towards the end of the course. They cut off my 'chip' and I grabbed a banana.

It's pretty disappointing but deep down I was expecting it. Since I don't have a race on my docket in the near future (Cleveland Half Marathon was scrapped due to job obligation), this is the time for real rehab. Start from scratch.

Hard to believe it was only 6 months ago that I ran the Chicago Marathon.

But for some positive news...the Cubs open their season today in Cincinnati!!!

5 Comments:

At April 03, 2006 11:40 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

I'm sorry about your run. I hope your shins feel better soon.

 
At April 03, 2006 2:20 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

oops (left other comment before I saw this.) have you checked your shoes, and all that other stuff? shin splints are normal; something is causing this. i'd get it checked out.

 
At April 05, 2006 12:11 PM, Blogger LeahC said...

i'm sorry about your race...that's not any fun! Where does it hurt exactly. On the inside or the outside of your leg? I get frequent pain on the outside of my shins. From the reading that I have done this is due more to overuse and not stretching. I don't know what to do about the inside shin splints because I don't get those. BUT if it's on the outside i find that icing them down with a dixie cup has helped a lot! and stretching more. Good Luck and I hope it gets better

and GO CUBS! (this is our year I can feel it)

 
At April 06, 2006 6:20 AM, Blogger jeanne said...

of course i meant to say that shin splints are NOT normal. Can you get it checked out by a sports doc?

 
At April 06, 2006 7:04 PM, Blogger Reen said...

Sorry about your race - hopefully we'll both be ther and strong next year! You need to go see Dr. Nicola - he's the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home