Haight's Hangout

From running to music... just a place for random thoughts and observations. No real thinking involved. A short escape from the mundane.

Friday, March 31, 2006

The Ability to Shuffle?



This Sunday is Chicago's 'Shamrock Shuffle'. It's an 8K that is like 'Opening' Day' to the racing season in the Windy City. There are 25,000 registered runners and a few world class are invited to participate. It's more of a fun race/social gathering due to the distance and activities connected to it. Big beer tent and Cracker is the band this year (a great live band - seen them many times).

Needless to say, many of the runners are there for the fun of it and are not 'runners' per se. And for me, that's a good thing, because there's a good chance I won't be able to finish the race. I'm still battling shin splints. It's something that has been lingering forever - well, at least since early January.

I've come to the realization that I have to go back to the drawing board. Start from the beginning. Revamp my diet. As far as running, might have to eliminate it for a while and utilize a bike and ellipitical machine to boost my cardio and allow my shins and knees to heal and strengthen.

At any rate, it will still be a fun day....

2 Comments:

At April 02, 2006 7:18 PM, Blogger Todd said...

Getting away from running for awhile sounds like a good idea. I was having the same issues and I went to using the Ellipitcal machine 3 days a week and running 2 days and all my pain has gone away. Plus it was winter and being inside duiring winter is nice also. Remember what one of the speakers said at our marathon training was he known people to completely train on the bike and they were even faster than they normally were.

Cracker was cool. I forgot a few of the songs they sang. I am proud you are out there trying.

 
At April 03, 2006 2:19 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

oh, i've started over many many times. no shame in that! good luck with your injury. glad you like ok go. not many people share my sense of humor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home